Overview: Multiple Representations of Functions
Function types are differentiated using a variety of representation during the 4th training day. The training will help teachers understand how rates of change can be used to differentiate polynomial functions.
- IN THIS SESSION TEACHERS:
- Learn how to differentiate function types based on tables, graphs, equations, and real-world situations and how
to integrate the graphing calculator to help students make connections among the different representation of functions.
- Look at how students interpret rates of change in their own classroom during the PLC days.
- Learn how to help students develop a more sophisticated notion of slope.
Standards Specifically Addressed
- MINNESOTA ACADEMIC STANDARDS
- Grade 6: Recognize and represent relationships between varying quantities; translate from one representation to another;
use patterns, tables, graphs and rules to solve real-world and mathematical problems.
- Grade 8: Recognize linear functions in real-world and mathematical situations; represent linear functions and other
functions with tables, verbal descriptions, symbols and graphs; solve problems involving these functions and explain
results in the original context.
NCTM PROCESS STANDARDS:
- Problem Solving
- Reasoning and Proof